Monday, August 16, 2010

Cheating

I can't sleep so I thought I'd blog...

One of my best friends got married this weekend.  It was a fantastic time.  He's currently in school in another state so we don't get to see each other very often and his lady is fantastic.  I was really excited about seeing both of them and taking part in their wedding.

Friday night marked the rehearsal dinner/party.  My friend's now-wife is from Peru and she and her family were preparing authentic Peruvian food.  Ceviche, arroz con pollo, other things I can't remember then name.  It was quite a feast and all told quite healthy I thought.  I had wanted to try authentic ceviche for a long time now and here was two huge pans in front of me.  I indulged, but I didn't feel too guilty until the cheesecake came out.  How could I turn down a slice of pecan pie cheesecake?  I only ate a little sliver and any damage it did to my diet was worth it.  I just decided that I would work it off setting up for the wedding the next day.  Outdoors + August + Mississippi = calories burned!

I went home, got some sleep, and headed back out to my friend's house early the next afternoon.  Like I planned I worked my butt off setting up the PA and doing other various tasks.  I came back home about an hour before the wedding, took a shower, and ate my regularly scheduled dinner. 

I hadn't even considered the reception.  I gave in and ate a plate of food.  Pulled pork, a roll, some crackers - basically a lot of carbs.  Now Nutrisystem isn't anti-carb, but the carbs are kept somewhat to a minimum, but I figured a few crackers here or there wouldn't matter much.  Then I walked into the kitchen and there sat another pecan pie cheesecake.  I ate another piece.

I weighed the next day and had gained a little weight.  About 3 pounds.  Not that big of a deal you might be thinking, but it was to me.  I overthink the scale.  Three pounds gained is three pounds not lost and that sets me back at least a day from reaching my goal.  I was so let down Sunday that I didn't even try to eat on the Nutrisystem plan.  In fact, I had lunch at Olive Garden.  I even ate some cobbler and homemade ice cream when I got home.

I woke up the morning and started back on my plan.  Watching what I ate, walking extra at work to burn extra calories, getting my nightly workout started back up.  And I think that is the moral of this story.  Everyone is going to slip up occasionally.  There is going to be more pecan pie cheesecake in the world.  Slip ups can't make you crash.  They will only slow you down. I'm not saying they don't hurt.  Slips ups are kind of like a gateway drug, they can lead to worse slip ups if you let them.  However, to use a cliche, if you fall off, get back on the horse.  Ride it out and overcome, I've lost these three pounds before and I'll just have to lose them again!

This blog will work better for me (and anyone reading it for inspiration) if I show my highs and my lows.  No one is perfect, no matter how successful they've been in the past.  We all have out plans and life will always get in the way of those plans

Am I sorry I binged a little and put on 3 pounds?  Yes.  Would I have been devastated if I had missed out on my friends' wedding ?  Yes. Would it have made it any better if I had missed their wedding and lost 3 pounds?  Hell, no.  I'm glad I was there and I had a great time.  So you take the good with the bad and if you mess up you recover.  I guess that's what I learned this weekend.  You have to live.  What fun would life if you were skinny but never left your house for fear of pecan pie cheesecake?

1 comment:

  1. Working out should enhance your life, not become your life. Extra carbs make you retain water. Don't worry about the 3lbs. You've done an awesome job my friend.

    ReplyDelete